US Sailing is the National Governing Body for the sport of sailing in the US. That said, what is it really that they do? Membership in US Sailing has a lot of benefits – both directly and indirectly – for all sailors whether they race or not. As our NGB, they are involved in helping to write the rules that govern racing, but US Sailing also offers a number of opportunities in a variety of areas that support sailors – Instructor Training, Keelboat Training, Race Management, Boat Ratings, and much, much more.
BLYC is an organizational member of US Sailing and this allows us to not only host US Sailing sanctioned events at the Club, but also makes us eligible for liability coverage in regards to sailing instruction, dockage, and running races. This type of insurance is not easily affordable through via other avenues.
Individual membership also offers some great benefits to sailors:
A US Sailing membership provides you
- Access to world class educational materials
- Competitive services and resources to propel you on the race course
- Access to educational courses and smears that will expand your abilities
- Great discounts at our store and savings through our partners
- Certification and insurance opportunities
- Opportunities to connect and grow the sport of sailing in your area
A US Sailing membership provides the sport
- Certified Instructors are the backbone of ‘Learn to Sail’ programs for youth and adults.
- Certified Coaches take these sailors to the next level.
- Ratings Services level the playing field.
- Certified Race Officers are ready to make the right call at your signature regattas.
- Certified Judges and Umpires enforce the rules and provide credibility to your racing events.
- National Championships test your skills against the best.
- Resources help clubs enhance their programs.
- Newcomers introduced to the benefits of sailing.
If you want to learn more, visit the membership pages on the US Sailing website HERE.