The Way We Were

Commodore Frank Foster, III (1983) served BLYC as Historian from the late 1980’s through 2011. In that time, he has done much to help preserve our rich history and make it available to all members. Below are linked some articles that Frank has contributed to the monthly Log. An attempt is being made to reproduce as many of these as possible, as time permits. Check back frequently.

History of the BLYC Clubhouse Condensed from Commodore Armstrong’s History of the Buckeye Lake Yacht Club, a brief discussion of how our beautiful Clubhouse and facility came to be. P/C Frank H.  Foster III
1914 – Unfinished Clubhouse, Liquor, and W.L. Whitacre January 1985 – Commodore Foster shares some interesting early history of BLYC. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1985
The West Porch of the Clubhouse February 1985 – Commodore Foster shares two pictures of the west porch of the BLYC Clubhouse, prior to the enclosure of the current dining room in 1925. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1985
1906 Membership Directory April 1985 – Commodore Foster shares some thoughts on the original membership directory from our first season, 1906. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1985
The Back Basin and Old Bridge May 1985 – Commodore Foster describes the history behind a 1911 photo of the back basin and bridge to Watkins Island P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1985
Was the “Towpath” a towpath? June 1985 – Commodore Foster explains how what we know as the “Towpath” along North Bank was actually used in the canal days. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1985
Businesses at the Lake July 1985 – Commodore Foster shares a few advertisements from a 1932 Buckeye Lake directory of significance to the history of BLYC P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1985
Commodore McGinnis and more… September 1985 – Commodore Foster reminisces about Commodore Claude McGinnis, Iceboating, and P/C Armstrong’s book about Buckeye Lake P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1985
History is Being Lost December 1985 – Commodore Foster laments the loss of items significant to BLYC history and pleas for members to share what they have so it can be preserved P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1985
Old Photos January 1986 – Commodore Foster shares a few photos of northbank just east of BLYC from the first decade of the 20th century. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1986
Old Photos #2 February, 1986 – Commodore Foster shares photos of the early years of the current Clubhouse P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1986

The Clubhouse that Never Was
April, 1986 – 1907 proposed plans for the BLYC Clubhouse… which was never built P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1986
 More Old Photos December, 1986 – Commodore Foster discusses some old photos found upstairs in the BLYC Clubhouse in an old locker. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1986
Dedication of the BLYC Clubhouse February, 1987 – a photo of members gathered on the front steps of BLYC. Commodore Foster deduces that it was likely the dedication of the current clubhouse. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1987
Porch Sitting & Race Watching… a Long Tradition March, 1987 – Commodore Foster shares an old photo of the island and the original Clubhouse and reflects on the long history of watching sailboat races from the front porch. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1987
 Still More Old Photos… June, 1987 – Even more old photos discovered upstairs – these from the first decade of the Club. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1987
“A Typical Power Boater…” Orginally published by Commodore Foster in May, 1988, this unique picture was republished in the April, 2014 Issue of the Log P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1988
Old “Map” of Buckeye Lake March 1989 – A caricature map of Buckeye Lake – thought to be from 1928. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1989
BLYC’s First Regatta? Commodore Foster shares an old photo thought to be from BLYC’s earliest days – when we held our Regattas on the south side of the lake. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1989

The Ohio River Flood of 1937
Commodore Foster shares Commodore Chris Lambrecht’s recollections of this historic event and BLYC’s involvement in assisting the victims P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1989
1928 Buckeye Lake Tornado November, 1989 – Commodore Foster retells the story of the devastation of the 1928 tornado which did significant damage to the clubhouse P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1989

Capital Improvements
February, 1990 – A brief history of the Buckeye Lake Building Company and its funding of the construction of the BLYC Clubhouses P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1990
You’re Too Late to this Party January 1983 – Commodore Foster shares the invitation to BLYC’s 5th Tar Social held February 21, 1910 in Columbus P/C Frank H. Foster III, 1993
What was a “Tar Social”? Early in the history of BLYC, there were a number of these events referred to as “Tar Socials.” What exactly were they? P/C Frank H. Foster III, 2005
Why “Gob’s Mess”? Above the entry to the bar area in the Clubhouse is an old sign that reads “Gobs Mess.” Why? What does it mean? P/C Frank H. Foster III, 2005
What Meeting is this? Throughout the Club, there are numerous old photos and other memorabilia. This photo, found in the late 1990’s presents us with a bit of a mystery. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 2005
Another Photo History Mystery One old photo gives rise to another… P/C Frank H. Foster III, 2005
The BLYC “Bang-and-Go-Back” Race In the heydays of recreational powerboat racing, this was a very popular activity at BLYC. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 2006
Acquisition of the BLYC Parking Lot Although a parking lot may not seem significant to many, the challenges and history of ours bears mention. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 2006
The Way We Were… Going to Be Commodore Foster shares an excerpt from Joseph Simpson’s The Story of Buckeye Lake and the author’s predictions on how the lake would have changed by the present day. P/C Frank H. Foster III, 2008
No announcement available or all announcement expired.